Our Adoption Policy:
- We do not adopt birds out as gifts for another person.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to adopt.
- We do not place birds in breeding situations or adopt to breeders.
- We do not allow any birds that have come under our care at any time to ever be sold, traded, given away, bred or used for any monetary purpose throughout their lifetime. In order to adopt a bird from A Helping Wing you must agree to return the bird to us, at no cost, if you can not keep the bird for any reason.
- We reserve the right to withdraw from the adoption process at any time with any applicant.
The most important part of our adoption process is that you must spend TIME with the bird to make sure it is a good fit for both of you. We require you to visit the bird on numerous occasions so that you can get a sense of the bird on good days and bad days. During these visits, you will interact with the bird, play with the bird, move the bird in and out of its cage, as well as feed the bird and clean it's cage.
These visits are MANDATORY and a requirement for adoption.
We believe that the decision to bring a bird into your household is an important one that should not be undertaken lightly. You wouldn’t necessarily pick a person off the street as your spouse and seriously expect the relationship to last. Instead, you date - get to know different people, decide which one is right for you and hope the other person agrees. Then, with a MUTUAL understanding, you work together to create a lasting bond.
The process by which you bring a bird - that can live for 20-80 years - into your home should not be too much different.
We work to help you meet a number of very special birds, help you decide which one is right for you and teach you some of the techniques of bird care and handling so that you can both get started on the right foot.
Effectively, consider us a bird-human dating service! We can’t necessarily promise dinner, movies and dancing, but we can help you find a soul-mate.